Using your favorite stocking pattern, you can create a beautiful heirloom gift for the holidays. These fun Holiday stockings were painted on Crepe de Chine using a variety of Jacquard products for vibrant color and exciting effects!
1) Stretch the fabric tightly onto a frame (to lift it off the work surface).
2) Lightly mark your design on the silk using an auto fade pen or a pencil.
3) Apply the black Water-based Resist with a 0.7 mm nib on a half oz applicator bottle. (Shading the wet resist with a small hog bristle brush will add a dimensional effect.)
4) Add the color once the resist is completely dry. Choose a brush size appropriate for the work area. Use a large brush for large flat backgrounds, and always apply wet paint next to wet paint.
Using Silk Salt: Loosely paint the color onto the silk. Then, sprinkle Jacquard Silk Salt onto the fabric while the paint is still wet. (This creates a marbled effect in the colors.)
5) After the color is dry, apply white Neopaque to achieve the highlights.
6) Apply design and texture using Lumiere colors.
7) Iron the finished piece to fix colors.
8) You are ready to cut and sew into the final stocking.
Printer friendly PDF:
Whimsical Holiday Stockings
Celia Buchanan is an accomplished artist who's chosen medium is silk painting and mixed media. Born in Central Scotland in 1966 she has a BA honors degree in textile design from Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art in Dundee and a Masters of Arts degree from the City University, London. Celia teaches seminars and workshops and also works as a rep for Jacquard.
You can see more of Celia's work at her website: www.celiabuchanan.com