Soda Ash
  • How much soda ash do i use for one shirt?
  • Dear Dear,

The standard recipe for the soda ash pre-soak for tie dyeing is 1 cup soda ash to 1 gallon of water.

annette
  • so with that being said I am assuming that 1/4 cup to 1/4 of a gallon of water would also work? that is, if you are dyeing a small piece?
  • New Question:
    Once you have dissolved the soda ash in water for use with tie dye, can you save the soda ash/water mixture to use again for any length of time and if so for how long? I plan on dyeing some cotton pieces and might have some hours or days between applications. Thanks!
  • Hi Water,

Exactly right, 1/4 cup to 1/4 gallon will work just fine. As for storage, soda ash will keep virtually forever, dissolved or dry so you don't have any worries there.
    ...and the mother in me cautions you to label your container!

hope this helps
    annette

• So does that mean if I have an older dye kit (batch date says 6-02-10, oops!), I could keep the soda ash packet for use with fresher dyes even though the shelf life of the included dye is probably expired? Thanks!!
  • Can I use acid dyes I have for wool for tie dyeing. I know they need Boiling water to dissolve. If so would I use soda ash or citric acid to set the color
  • Sorry for the late reply. You can use those for tie dyeing wool. They are not going to get as bright as they would if you added the heat. I would suggest avoiding complex colors too. Mixed colors do not dye true at low temp. Primaries and some secondaries should be ok.