Newbie: Dyeing White Wool Peacoats to Black
  • Hello, first time dyeing anything so I figure I would ask for advice. I have two peacoats (1. white and 2. cream) that I would like to dye to black because there are some stains on each that I cannot remove.

Each peacoat is around 4 lbs each and are a wool mix:
    1. 94% wool, 6% nylon, Lining: 100% acetate
    2. 79% wool, 21% nylon, Lining: 100% acetate

(a) Can I dye them in the same batch? (I do not have a large enough pot for the peacoats, so I was hoping to do this in a large plastic 20-gallon tub and heating up water...I know stovetop method is supposed to be better, but my peacoats are quite large - if somebody has a different solution to this, please let me know.)
    (b) Which dye would be the best dye to dye them? (I've been looking into Jacquard Acid Dyes in jet black or the Super Fast Acid Dye for Wool)
    (c) I can't quite understand the water to dye ratios so I was wondering if somebody could help me out with how much water and dye I should add to dye my peacoats.
    (d) Any other advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  • This is tough. You have to be careful to get this right.

First the dye needs to be as hot as you can get it in that barrel. You want to aim for steam coming off the water. It should ideally be too hot too touch, but not boiling. The lining is not going to dye, but the nylon portion will. If you want to dye the acetate, it is much more difficult too. You would probably need to boil the water.

I would not do them in the same batch. It is just going to be too much fabric. I also worry because you are not going to be able to control the temp as well in a bucket, so you are more likely to get streaking and cloudiness. More fabric just increases this risk.

You have options on what you can use. The drawback to the super fast wool dye is that you have to buy a whole pound, but it is better on wool than plain acid dye. Also you should use vinegar not citric acid. I think Citric acid can be too strong and makes black look more brown than it should.

If you use acid dye, you should use 2 baby bottles for each coat or 4 total. If you go up to 3, it might not hurt since peacoats are pretty heavy. In that case, you are better off buying the 8oz size. That alone doesn't meet our minimum, so you can get it at If you buy the superfast wool dye it will meet our minimum and you can buy from the bulk store directly from our site and I put a link below.

Superfast link

Superfast directions Acid Dye for Wool Instructions.pdf

Acid dye directions Dye Instructions.pdf

Follow the directions as closely as you can without doing it on the stove. Normally I would say reuse the dye from teh first bath and just add some more, but because you are going to lose a lot of heat during the first dyeing, you should probably start over with really hot water the 2nd time.

Stir stir stir. Stirring is extra critical here because of the lack of heat. If you stir you should get better more even results. Stir gently though, wool does not like being all beat up.

When you aren't stirring, keep a lid or some kind of cover over the big bucket. This will help keep the heat in which is important.

That's about it. Good luck!