Preserving Alcohol Ink Paintings
  • Do I have to use anything to preserve my alcohol Ink paintings? If so, what should I be using? Thank you
  • Hi,

We are still working on an easy 1 part varnish for alcohol inks. The problem is that a lot of the things you put in varnish rewet the inks. There are a couple of things you can do right now.

Epoxy resins are the best. They do not rewet the ink and they keep it very safe and are tough enough to use as coaster or trivets. I suggest Art Resin as it does not yellow and it is really strong.

You can also use spray varnishes. This is trickier and involves some risk. You do not want to spray directly on the tile or ink painting. You want to spray above it and let the varnish droplets fall onto the painting in very thin coats. Thick coats are likely to make the painting run. You do this until you have the whole thing covered and then you can be a little more direct and spray a thicker coat on. You have to be careful though not to put enough on to rewet the earlier layers of varnish and the inks.