• I use procion a lot and I find rinsing the dark colours quite a tedious job. It takes quite a lot of water to get the colour out and sometimes i give up long before the water is clear. Any tips?
  • Have you tried either Synthrapol or Solar Fast Wash? These are both detergents made specifically for dyes. They keep washed out dyes from backstaining(dyes that are rinsing out dying the fabric in areas you don't want them as in silk painting or tie dye). Both of these detergents grab that loose dye and wash it down the drain.

Washing out dye can be a major chore, but a little synthrapol or Solar Fast wash and what was once a nightmare is pleasure. Maybe not that dramatic, but it is far easier to get the unsecured dye out and down the drain.

These work really for almost any dye, so I highlye suggest it for anyone, especially if you are rinsing by hand.
  • http://jacquardproducts.com/synthrapol.html

http://jacquardproducts.com/symfor_solarfast-wash.html

Here are links to check out. It is hard to say which is better. I think that the Solar Fast wash is my personal pick. It just works great. I think you need less too. A capful to a gallon of water and you have some powerful dye removing detergent.
  • Hi there... I also have the same question. I do use synthrapol, but I rinse each item under a faucet first, to get most of the dye out. But I find that for some items, it takes forever just to get most of the dye out under the faucet. Am I being too cautious? I may have 2 items that are reds and oranges and three items that are blues and greens in one load...

Also a related question... I read that it's best to rinse by hand with cool water, and then wash in the machine with synthrapol and as warm/hot as the fabric can handle, followed by a cool rinse. Can you explain the rationale? Can I give it a quicker hand rinse in warm water (more dye seems to come out with warm) and then wash in synthrapol and warm? Thanks!
  • As long as we are talking about Procion dye, your procedure is fine, liquidkittendesigns. If you use Idye it is better to just use cold water as you can rinse for almost forever if you use hot and you will compromise the final color. With Procion, you can't wash out the dye that has been fixed because it is chemically bonded to the fabric.

You may be having more trouble with oranges and reds because anything with red in it is more likely to bleed than other colors. This is basically true across dyes, and is the main reason we separate reds from whites when we do laundry.

I do not personally wash reds and greens together when I can avoid it becuase they are complementary colors and they will dull each other down. When you add red to green it becomes more brown and that deepens the color, but also dulls its brightness. If you are using synthrapol, it should protect your colors, but I prefer to be cautious on that point.

Procion should rinse pretty cleanly, you may be using too much dye to begin with? If you are constantly washing out dye, you probably have a little too much. You might try cutting back and see if you can achieve the same depth of shade.

I have been finding that soaking can take a lot of the labor away. You might try several buckets for your different colors and soak in synthrapol for 20-40 min. It should take lot of the rinsing with so much water out of the equation. It will pull the dye out and then you can rinse 2-3 times with clean water and be done.

As to the rationale behind your cool, hot, cool rinse procedure. The idea is to get a good rinse first, use heat to open the fiber and free the loose unbonded dye, and then to close the fiber back with the cool water to prevent any more dye from coming free.

You also might try some Solar Fast Wash instead of synthrapol. I think it might be slightly better at getting these dyes out. It is a similar detergent to synthrapol, but I personally prefer it. It is especially good if you want to try my soaking method.
  • Yep - Procion. Depending on the hue, I use anywhere from 2-4 teaspoons per 8oz bottle (black I definitely use 4...maybe a bit more. I have some 5 gal buckets and will try doing a soak first in synthrapol (which I am almost out of and will try Solar Fast next). I'm thinking a quick cool rinse and spin after that, and we'll see where things are. And yep - I've had times where I've separated the complimentary colors just as a precaution. Will definitely do that moving forward, just to make sure. Oh how I wish I had two washing machines and two gas stoves! (I let my wrapped pieces process for 24 hours in the oven, just warm from the pilot light). :)