Dyeing velvet
  • Idye poly works well on my stretch poly velvet and I rinse the fabric til clear before drying it. In the last batch, I dyed a dark grey and when working with it I found my fingernails and fingertips turned grey. I just want to make sure it doesn't come off on my buyers' fingers or other fabric they may put with it. I did not think it needed a mordant and have not used anything to set the color. Should I? THanks,
  • It should not come off. It does not have to do with a mordant. When Idye poly rubs off it is because you used a little too much dye. This is called "crocking" in the dyeing world. The good news is if you ever have this problem you should reduce the amount of dye used on the next batch, and you can save the current batch by boiling for just a few minutes in clean water. The extra dye comes off when it is activated by heat and you will be fine.
  • Thanks; should I be rinsing til clear in cold, hot, medium water, etc?
    I have trouble getting intense colors because the dye is diluted in the amt of water I put in the bath. Would love to chat with you sometime and we have once but when I call and leave msg, don't get a call back :(
  • I have just been incredibly busy. I was just in Germany on business, and now it is a sprint to the next trade show at the end of the month. The dye can only get so bright unfortunately. If it is rubbing off like you said, that is as bright as it can get really because you have hit your max saturation.

You should always rinse Idye Poly projects in cold water as hot can reactivate the dye and you will never rinse clear. Anything dyed in Idye poly should only be washed on the cold setting. Otherwise you can get transfer of color from the poly you just dyed to one that you didn't.
  • Thanks for the advice. I do rinse in cold water but maybe I need to wait until the dyed velvet cools on its own to keep more of the dye in the fabric because of the heat aspect as you say. I will keep trying to get you for a chat if I have more questions that can't be answered here but thanks for this forum! I did try painting the velvet with idye poly and as you predicted it was not hot enough. We use a technique for wool and acid dye which is called casserole dyeing; putting layers of wool and dye in a casserole dish and in the low oven for 45 min. I realize idye poly does not have to be in that long so that is an idea to try tho I have been afraid of melting the Velvet or destroying the stretch.
  • The casserole thing seems like it would work to me, but I would not go over 220 degrees. you might try an oven thermometer to make sure.
  • Just dyed a bunch of stretch velvet. Had trouble with the Kelly green. So much came out in the cold water when I rinsed it. Any tips beyond what you have told me before? How long should I be keeping the velvet in the hot dye? I used a presto pot, electric skillet and crock pot on high. Thx.
  • Hi again, any issues with the idye poly kelly green. see above.
  • 10 min is usually enough, but if the color is coming out, you need to leave it longer. It is very hard to leave it longer because of the stretch. I have found that 2-10 min dunks is better than continuous boiling for 20 min in terms of the stretch.
  • Yes dunks seem to work well but not with the Kelly green. That is why I asked about that color. Seemed different than the others. Thx.
  • Maybe we should try to mix a new green. That will not be too hard. What color are you getting form the Kelly green and what would you like? Do you want like a grass green with a lot of yellow?