Advice on toning down iDye Emerald Green
  • Hello all,
    Thank you for reading my question.
    I have just dyed my White Ikea Ektorp Sofa covers Emerald Green, which I don't hate but they don't quite work in the space. Is there anyway I can now achieve a more subdued colour? Like this: https://www.amazon.com/EKTORP-Sofa-cover-Svanby-green/dp/images/B008IVACN8

Thank you.
  • Yes you can! The best way to do this is through toning. Toning is when you use complementary colors to subdue and deepen the color without changing it wholesale. If you add orange to blue for example you get a deeper less bright blue. You do not want to use a lot of color to tone though. You only need a little bit. It can be easy to overshoot it and it will make your entire color brown or grey.

So you need to dye these covers a little red, but not much. The color you showed me is sort of brown too, so you might try very light chestnut which is a reddish brown. It will knock down the brightness of the green and brown it a little in the process.

The question is how much dye should you use? You should use about 1/10 of the amount of color you used for the emerald originally. If you used Idye the way to do that it to take the packet and dissolve it in a large cup or jar and then pour 1/10 of that in the dye bath. If you used procion, measure that out.

It might take more dye than this, but this is a good place to start. If you have anything else that is this green, it is good place to start.