Re-Blacked Seatbelts
  • I used Dye-na-flow, 829 Black to re-black my 1972 GM lap/seatbelts. Unfortunately they began to transfer black onto my re-upolstered White seats just by sitting on them. Here's the process I used; first I wet the washed belts, sponge brushed the 829 directly on them, dried them, then laid them on the black hood of my truck in the sun for two days. Next after running a damp cloth over them and seeing some color transfer I used a heat gun to heat set the color. I rinsed them later in clear cool water, dried and installed them.
    Now they look great, but I can't use them, even just setting on new white leather upolstry. What can I do to salvage them? Re heat sink? Soak in vinegar solution ? Help!
  • We have heard this just once before, but lots of people do this. This seems unusual. Do you still have the bottle of paint? There is a stamped on 5 digit number near the barcode usually. I can use that to see if we somehow mixed a bad batch.

The other thing to do is to actually iron the Dye-na-flow on the seatbelt. That can be difficult in the car, but I don't think the sun did the trick. Ironing polymerizes the paint, making it all stick to itself, so even if it comes off, it would come off in more of a sheet than rubbing off like you describe. A heat gun would do the trick too, but be careful not to singe it.

The other option is to heat set chemically. You add our airfix to your paint beforehand and it does the same job as the heat, but after you let it sit for 72 hrs. That is the best way to set this type of job.

I would suggest a very gentle rub with some rubbing alcohol to remove the marks from the leather. You could use acetone too, but you are more likely to remove the white that way.
  • Batch no. 46710. I can still remove the seat belts to iron so I'll try that in the mean time. I have used the heat gun once already making them hot to the touch. I was able to remove most all of the transfer from the seat with citrus Goo Gone. Thanks for replying. I'll keep you informed.
  • Ok..I was able to remove the seat belts, soak in water one more time, dry and spend some extended time ironing eacc of them. I did it with the attempt to make them hot to the touch but used a thin sweatshirt material between them and my iron to stop any iron marks being left on the belts. So far I have hot had any black residue left on either white seats or clothing. HEAT was the key for my situation.
  • We need to let people know that Airfix and 3 days cure time are the key so that they don't have to do the heat set like you did. Airfix will do the same job, but you can just add it beforehand instead of ironing. I'm glad it worked out. This is valuable information.