• I am a painter who dyes tyvek, hdpe, high density polyethylene. Have been using idye poly. How to make it colorfast? Any ideas? Have added salt and i also varnish work with Golden uvs. Still fades. Suggestions?
  • This is a very interesting problem, and you are not the first to encounter it. Tyvek is especially difficult to dye and tends to reject most water based systems. Most folks I've talked to recommend solvent-soluble dyes for tyvek. These folks are mostly digital printers; you are the first painter I've encountered working on tyvek... I wonder if you could tell me: are you brushing on dyes or doing a submersion process? Solid colors, or are you making paintings?
    In terms of solvents, I think alcohol is be the solvent of choice. Jacquard makes a line of colors called Pinata that are alcohol based (http://jacquardproducts.com/pinata-alcohol-ink.html). Pinata Colors contain a resin that will stick to just about anything. I would recommend Pinata Colors for your tyvek; they will be much more colorfast and permanent (although certain colors fade more than others), and they are designed for brush painting. If you are trying to do a submersion dye, let me know and I'll try to figure something else out for you... If you decide to go the Pinata rout, I'd be curious to know how the inks work out for you... Please be touch!
    Best,
    Asher
  • Hi Leafeinstein, Asher, and anyone else who could help please. I appreciate this is an old post, hopefully by now there is more Tyvek knowhow four years later?

Having looked at the Pinata Colors, in particular the 031 Mantilla Black, exactly how would I use that on Tyvek i.e. one coat, or two coats with 031 Mantilla Black, or one coat a base color (if so which) then one coat 031 Mantilla Black?

It'd be great to get a durable black finish, but even if its more a charcoal color that'd be cool too.

Thanks in advance.
  • I have some Tyvek handy. I am going to try some things. Pinata is going to work, but it just depends on what you need it for. What are you using the Tyvek for after you color it?
  • Hi Jacquardmod

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Tyvek to make my own wallet (I don't think that'll surprise you!). I've become so frustrated with my recent purchases of Tyvek wallets and how they quickly wear out. I believe with your help I could do better with your wonderful Pinata Colors.

I look forward to your Tyvek feedback!

Many thanks.
  • Oh for a wallet? That seems like pinata would work great. I did some tests though with the Idye poly and it works. It definitely dyes the tyvek. It did it very lightly at 1%, so I am going to add some more dye and see if I can actually get it dark, but so far Iam pleased with the result. I will add to this probably later today.
  • Ok, so i am going to walk back my previous statements regarding Idye poly and Tyvek. Black Idye poly did seem to work slightly, but when I tried it at a higher concentration to make a better black, it appeared not to get any darker. This is the dreaded stain effect, where some of the color gets on the fabric, but it is not actually dyed.

I also tried Pinata color again, and painting it with Pinata gave the best appearance of being black and actually holding to the fabric. It was even and looked pretty great. I think this is the best product that we have to offer in terms of coloring Tyvek at this time. There is reason to believe that other solvent dyes could be used, but we are not offering any of those right now. Good luck, this is a tricky problem to be sure.
  • Hi Jacquardmod

Thanks for your reply, and your testing. You've saved me from spending a ton of money!

So Pinata is definitely the way to go. Does the Pinata enhance Tyvek i.e. perhaps give it a little more durability (delay wispy fraying)?

Much appreciated!
  • It will not improve durability unfortunately. Dyes tend to not affect the physical properties of the material.

If you were to paint the tyvek with something like Neopaque, it would prevent fraying.