Print wool fabric Silk Screen Printing
  • I try to print fabric Australian Marino wool to make a scarf. Silk Screen Printing
    I do not know how it is mixed acid dye
    Please, what are the steps in detail .. and What is sodium alginate ?
    and are i can steaming the fabric directly. and What is the time ?
  • Hi Maxman,

Here are the basic steps for printing with Acid Dyes:
    The traditional method of printing with dye is to add the dye to a thickener paste. This method can be used for screen printing,
    hand-painting, and stamping and many other direct application techniques. It is important to prepare the fiber by washing to remove
    the sizing.
    1. Wash, dry and iron the fabric.
    2. Prepare dye thickener paste (see below).
    3. Add dye, either powder or stock solution, to thickener. Proportion the dye in the container in relation to the amount of thickener
    paste and desired intensity.
    4. Print, paint, or stamp on fabric.
    5. Air dry. Steam set (follow your steamer’s instructions).
    PREPARING DYE THICKENER:
    When screen printing with dye thickened with sodium alginate, the print base should be as thin as the image will allow. Dye printed
    in too thick a base will halo from the image before the fabric is cured or will accumulate in the corners, altering the image. Sodium
    Alginate SH is a high viscosity, low solids type of alginate thickener used primarily for cotton and other cellulose fibers. It may also
    be used for silk when fine line definition is not required. Sodium Alginate F is a low viscosity, high solids alginate used for silks and
    synthetics when fine line definition is desired. Use about 2½ times more of the F to equal the viscosity of SH.
    1. Mix chemical water by adding ¼ cup of urea & 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 quart of water.
    2. Sprinkle sodium alginate over water and stir constantly for 10 minutes, OR mix in blender.
    3. Let stand for a few hours or overnight before using. Mixture may be stored in refrigerator for many months.

Sodium Alginate SH is a seaweed derivative that is used to thicken dyes for painting, stamping or screen printing. http://jacquardproducts.com/sodium-alginate.html

In order to steam your fabric you first let it dry completely. Lay it out on clear (unprinted) newsprint, which is cut about one foot longer than the fabric on each end. Fold one end over the fabric and roll all with the last foot or so of newsprint encircling the entire roll. Tape shut, fold over open edges and tap shut.
    Next you will need pot large enough to hold the roll and not allow it to touch the edges. You will also need a rack for the bottom of the pot which will allow the roll to sit at least two to three inches above the water in the bottom of the pot. Your pot must also have a well fitted lid. Put the packet of fabric in the pot on the rack, with aluminum foil create a dome over the top of the packet, put the lid on the pot and heat to a steady simmer. The temperature needs to reach 212° F in the the chamber. This needs to be maintained for at least an hour, more if your packet is quite thick.

hope this helps
    annette
  • Hello Thank you for your interest
    But there are things I do not understand, at any time, the dye is added, and are I Sprinkle sodium alginate over water , so I get the viscosity that I want ?
    Please explain to me in a simple way, how to prepare 1 kg from 1 to 10 ,
    medium viscosity , because our fabric is thin

Intriguing question

How do I get in the end the paste thickener, acid dye
    Are there any additions and help to install the colors on the fabric

Thank you Dear Sir,
    And I'm sorry to bother you